- Chicken, skinned whole 1.2 kg/2 birds
- Cream 105 ml/7 tbs
- Cumin powder 5 gm/1 tsp
- Garlic paste 15 gm/1 tbs
- Ginger paste 15 gm/1 tbs
- Lemon juice 60 ml/4 tbs
- Oil for brushing
- Orange colour 1 drop
- Red chilli powder 5 gm/1 tsp
- Saffron a pinch
- Yogurt 105 gm/7 tbs
- With a sharp knife make deep cuts on the breast, thigh and legs of the chicken.
- Make a paste of lemon juice, red chilli powder and salt and rub over chicken.
- Set aside for 10 minutes. Whisk yogurt. Add cream, ginger and garlic pastes, cumin, saffron and orange colour.
- Rub chicken with this mixture and keep aside for 3 ½ hours.
- Skewer chicken through neck to tail and roast in a moderately hot oven for 8 minutes and then at 350 ºF for 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven.
- Hang skewers for 5-7 minutes to let moisture drip off.
- Baste with oil and roast for a further 5 minutes.
Time: Preparation: 4 hours, Cooking: 20 minutes
To serve: Cut into pieces and serve as a snack with onion rings and lemon wedges or as part of the main course.