Dhaba Chicken Karahi Ingredients:
Dhaba Chicken Karahi Recipe
- 4 tbs butter
- 4 tbs cooking oil
- 2lb chicken cut into 3 inch pieces
- 1 tbs freshly crushed garlic
- 1 tbs freshly crushed ginger
- 1½ lb finely chopped fresh tomatoes
- 1½ tsp salt (or to taste)
- 2 tsp dry coarsely ground coriander
- 2 tsp coarsely ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp red chilli flakes
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 cup low fat yogurt (beaten with a fork)
- 2 tbs dry methi (fenugreek)
- 1 tbs finely sliced (or grated) fresh garlic
- 6 tbs freshly sliced green coriander
- 3 sliced jalapenos (optional)
How to make Dhaba Chicken Karahi:
- In a small bowl add the salt, dry coriander, cumin, ground black pepper, chillie flakes and garam masala – dry masala mixture.
- Wash the chicken pieces in cold water and drain.
- Place the butter and oil in a non-stick pan, when butter melts add half the chicken pieces and fry on full heat until chicken turns a golden brown, remove into a dish, fry the second half of the chicken and remove.
- In the remaining oil and butter mixture, add ginger and garlic fry for two minutes, then add the tomatoes, and half the dry masala mixture.
- Mix well and add a cup of water, cook covered until the liquids from the mixture dry up and the mixture is bhuned (oil separates). Keep stirring from time to time so mixture doesnt stick.
- Add chicken and stir in yoghurt, cook on medium heat and bhun again.
- Add the remaining dry masala mixture (add an extra 1 tsp red chillie flakes and 1 tsp ground black pepper for a hotter dish!)
- Add 2 tbs dry methi (fenugreek) and the freshly sliced garlic (YES this is unusual!).
- Mix well, cooked covered for 5 mins on very low heat, add the thinly sliced ginger, garnish with freshly sliced green coriander and fresh jalapenos.