Chicken Tikka Special Ingredients
3/4 teaspoon cumin seeds, toasted
- 3/4 teaspoon coriander seeds, toasted
- 2 cups whole-milk yogurt
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 (1 1/2-inch) piece fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil plus additional for greasing pan
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala (Indian spice mixture)
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 5 pounds skinless boneless chicken breasts, cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes
How to make Chicken Tikka Special
- Purée all ingredients except chicken in a blender until spices are well ground.
- Put chicken in a large bowl, or divide between 2 large sealable plastic bags, and add yogurt mixture, stirring or turning to coat. Marinate chicken, covered and chilled (turning occasionally if using bags), at least 4 hours.
- Soak skewers in water 30 minutes. While skewers are soaking, bring chicken to room temperature.
- Preheat broiler and brush a broiler pan lightly with oil.
- Divide chicken among skewers (about 5 cubes per skewer), leaving an 1/8-inch space between cubes, and arrange about 5 skewers across pan. Broil chicken about 4 inches from heat, turning over once, until browned in spots and just cooked through, 9 to 12 minutes total.
- Transfer cooked skewers to a large platter and, if desired, cover loosely with foil to keep warm. Broil remaining chicken in same manner. Remove chicken from skewers and serve warm or at room temperature.
- Chicken Tikka Special is ready to serve.