Chicken Soola Recipe
- Chicken, leg and breast pieces 450 gm
- Almond paste 10 gm/2 tsp
- Cooking oil or Clarified butter (ghee) 60 ml/4 tbs
- Garlic paste, browned 10 gm/2 tsp
- Ginger paste 5 gm/1 tsp
- Khoya, grated 25 gm/5 tsp
- Onion paste, browned 60 gm/ 1/4 cup
- Raw papaya paste 120 gm/ 1/2 cup
- Red chilli powder 10 gm/2 tsp
- Roasted gram, powdered 2.5 gm/ 1/2 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Yogurt 10 gm/2 tsp
- Clean and dry chicken pieces and prick all over with a fork. Marinade with raw papaya and set aside for 12 hours or overnight. Remove papaya paste and discard. Do not wash chicken.
- Mix together all ingredients except cooking oil and marinade chicken in it.
- Skewer pieces close together, levelling the mixture from top to bottom. Wrap a string tatutly along skewered chicken to keep the pieces firm while cooking. Burn charcoal in the barbecue or grill till white ash appears on the surface and cook, keeping chicken pieces 6 inches above the fire. Cook on low fire till chicken is tender, then stroke fire to medium heat, baste chicken with a little oil at a time, till all the oil is over and the chicken is well browned. Alternatively, the chicken can be cooked in a preheated oven at 275 ºF for 15 minutes.
Prep Time: Overnight + 1 1/2 hours
Cook Time: 2 hours
Serves: Remove string and serve hot with mint chutney