Chicken in Spinach Sauce Recipe
Chicken in Spinach Sauce Ingredients
- 1/2 c vegetable oil
- 6 bay leaves
- 12 cardamom pods
- 4 inch piece cinnamon stick
- 10 whole cloves
- 4 dried hot chilies
- 4 1/2 pounds skinless chicken pieces — cut into servings
- 1/2 c golden raisins
- 3/4 c plain yogurt
- 2 1/2 teaspoon salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper — or to taste
- 4 inch piece fresh ginger root — coarsely chopped
- 4 fresh hot green chilies, with seeds — coarsely chopped
- 2 bunch fresh cilantro leaves
- 2 10 oz pack frozen chopped spinach — defrost and drain
- 3/8 c grainy mustard
How to make Chicken in Spinach Sauce
- Put oil in large wide nonstick pan and set over medium-high heat.
- When oil is hot put in bay leaves cardamom, cinnamon, cloves, red chilies.
- Add chicken pieces and brown. Put in raisins, stir, put in yogurt, salt, black pepper and cayenne.
- Stir and bring to simmer.
- Cover tightly, turn to low and simmer for 15 minutes. While chicken simmers put ginger in the container of blender along with 3 tablespoons water; blend until it is a smooth paste.
- Add green chilies and cilantro and continue to blend. Add lightly drained spinach. Blend briefly. Spinach should have coarse texture.
- When chicken has cooked for 15 minutes remove cover and add green sauce. Stir.
- Bring to a simmer cover again and cook for 10 minutes or until chicken is tender.
- Turn chicken a few time during this
period. Remove hard spices before serving.
Tags chicken sauce spinach