Veggie Roti Recipe
Veggie Roti Ingredients
- Rice flour – 2 cups
- Finely grated vegetables – carrot, choyote, cucumber,bell pepper
- and onion, one each
- Jeera – 1/2 tsp
- Green chillies – finely chopped
- Coriander and curry leaves – finely chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh coconut -finely grated (optional)
- Salt according to taste
- Oil or fat-free cooking spray
- Note: Quantity of rice flour and vegetables depends on number of eaters.
- Quantity of green chillies depends on tolerance of taste buds.
How to make Veggie Roti
- Mix the grated vegetables, jeera, green chillies and the curry /coriander leaves in a large bowl.
- Add rice flour and salt to this mixture till it becomes a soft dough.
- You can add a little water if it isn’t soft enough, but usually the juices from the grated vegetables will be enough to form the dough.
- Knead the dough a little bit to mix properly and shape it into small balls. Spray a non-stick pan with some cooking spray or coat it with a few drops of oil.
- Place one small ball on the pan and slowly press it into a round-shaped “rotti”.
- This rotti should be thin like a chapati. Make a few holes on the rotti with your index finger. (I really don’t know the need for this, but the rotti looks pretty delicious this way!)
- Place this pan on the stove under medium heat.
- When the rotti gets cooked (it changes color from white to golden brown), turn it over with a non-stick handle.
- This part is a bit tricky because the rotti will stick to the pan if the non-stick has worn off or there isn’t enough oil coated on the pan.
- Remove the rotti from the pan, serve hot with pickle, chutney, sugar or spicy powder and butter/ghee.
- Have a few non-stick pans ready so that you don’t have to wait till this pan cools down.