- 2-1/2 cups chapati flour
- 2/3 cup water at room temperature
- ghee for brushing the bread while rolling out the dough
- Oil for deep frying
How to make Puri:
To roll out the dough
- Make stiff but pliable dough.
- Cover the dough with damp cloth and set aside for 30 minutes.
- Knead dough a little again.
- Dough should be stiff enough to roll without extra flour.
- Make small balls of the dough and cover them with damp cloth.
- Take one ball of dough and dip a corner of ball in melted ghee or oil and roll it out into 4 to 5 inches round.
- Repeat the same process to roll out all pooris.
Frying the Puris:
- Heat plenty of oil in a kadhai until very hot.
- Put in a puri and immediately start flickering hot oil over the top of it with a spatula so that it will swell up like a ball.
- This should take only a few seconds.
- Flip the poori over and cook the other side until golden brown.
- Serve hot with curries or vegetables.