Swiss Steak Ingredients
- 2 pounds beef bottom round, trimmed of excess fat
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil or bacon drippings
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 cups beef broth
How to make Swiss Steak
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- Cut the meat with the grain into 1/2-inch thick slices and season on both sides with the salt and pepper. Place the flour into a pie pan. Dredge the pieces of meat on both sides in the flour mixture. Tenderize the meat using a needling device, until each slice is 1/4-inch thick. Dredge the slices on both sides once more and set aside.
- Add enough of the bacon drippings or vegetable oil to just cover the bottom of a 4 to 5-quart Dutch oven set over medium-high heat. Once the oil begins to shimmer, add the steaks to the pan, being careful not to overcrowd. Cook until golden brown on both sides, approximately 2 minutes per side. Remove the steaks to a plate and repeat until all of the steaks have been browned.
- Remove the last steaks from the pot and add the onions, garlic, and celery. Saute for 1 to 2 minutes. Add the tomato paste and stir to combine. Next add the tomatoes, paprika, oregano, Worcestershire sauce and beef broth and stir to combine. Return the meat to the pot, submerging it in the liquid. Cover the pot and place it in the oven on the middle rack. Cook for 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until the meat is tender and falling apart.
- Swiss Steak Recipe is ready to serve.
Prep 45 min
Cook 2 hr 30 min
Total:3 hr 15 min