Homemade Chunky Chips Ingredients
12 large Full Edward as well as Maris Piper potatoes
- One litre Vegetable oil, or perhaps sufficient to your fryer
- the touch salt
How to make Homemade Chunky Chips
- Peel your spuds, and then cut them into nice thick chips.
- Place into a saucepan of cold salted water and bring to the boil, once they have started boiling let them boil for 4 minutes, then drain the chips and let them dry out either on a plate covered with kitchen cloth or tip them straight out on a tea cloth.
- Turn your deep fat fryer onto 120 degrees C. If you don’t have a deep fat fryer then use a deep saucepan or a wok. Once the fat has reached the correct temperature, place the chips in and cook for exactly 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes take the chips out, there should be no colour to the chips but they should be quite pliable and have a nice bend to them, at this point you can put them onto a baking tray and stick them in the freezer. Once they have frozen take them off the baking sheet and put them in bags. To finish cooking them just go to the next step.
- Now turn the fryer up to 190-200 degrees C. Once the fat has reached that temperature put your chips in and cook until they have a lovely golden colour and they have floated to the top, but the best way to check them is to taste them. Once they are fully cooked tip them onto kitchen towel to remove any excess oil, season and enjoy which ever way you want.
- Homemade Chunky Chips is ready to serve.
Prep: 30 mins
Cook time: 1 hour