Greek Fava Bean Dip Ingredients:
2 pounds of dried fava beans
- 1 small onion, minced
- 2 teaspoons of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of pepper
- 1/4 – 1cup of olive oil (for mashed fava)
- chopped onion
- extra virgin olive oil
- red wine vinegar
How to make Greek Fava Bean Dip
- Soak the fava beans overnight in water. Rinse well. Shell the beans by cutting off the black eye of the bean and slipping off the skin. Discard any beans that didn’t soften slightly and expand during soaking.
- Transfer beans to a large pot and add minced onion. Cover with water and add 2 inches more water. Boil, covered, over medium heat until the beans are very soft, about one hour. Allow to cool for 15-30 minutes.
- For mashed fava, cook until most of the water has been absorbed, and the beans are mushy. Add salt and pepper, and enough olive oil until creamy. Mash the fava and set aside to cool completely.
- For puréed fava (photo), cook fava until the beans are soft, then purée the fava and return to the pot to low heat. Cook uncovered until it thickens to the consistency of ketchup. Transfer to a large serving dish or individual plates and allow to cool completely.
- When the fava has cooled, refrigerate to chill and set before serving, or serve at room temperature.
- Greek Fava Bean Dip is ready to serve.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes