Cheese Souffle Ingredients:
- 4 eggs, separated
- 35 g butter
- 50 g flour
- 250-300 ml milk
- 100 g cheddar cheese, grated
- salt and pepper ¼ tsp cream of tartar
how to make Cheese Souffle:
- Preheat oven to gas mark 5/190º C.
- Melt the butter and stir in the flour.
- Gradually add milk and bring to the boil, stirring. Cool slightly; add cheese, seasoning and egg yolks, one by one, beating well.
- Fold in very stiffly beaten egg whites and pour the mixture into a greased soufflé dish or in a round ovenproof dish (6 inch). See that the mixture is 1 inch lower than the edge of the dish, so when the soufflé rises, it does not spill over.
- Bake immediately for about 30 minutes, until well risen and brown.
- Serve at once. Any delay in serving will cause the souffle to collapse.
Serves 2 people
Preparation Time: 10 – 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 – 45 minutes