- Refined flour (maida) 1 cup / 100 gm
- Semolina (suji) 1 tbsp / 10 gm
- Salt ½ tbsp
- Baking powder a pinch
- Vegetable oil ¾ cup / 150 ml
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Potatoes, boiled, cubed ½ cup
- Chickpeas (kabuli chana), boiled ½ cup
- Tamarind chutney ¾ cup / 150 gm
- Mint chutney 4 tbsp / 60 gm
- Yoghurt (dahi), beaten 1 cup / 180 gm
- Chaat masala to taste
How to make Chaat Papri
- Sift the refined flour, semolina, salt, and baking powder together. Add hot oil and mix well. Knead with enough water to make a smooth dough. Divide the dough equally into tiny balls. Roll each out into a very thin disc, 1½ “in diameter. Perforate each with a fork so that it doesn’t puff out while frying. Keep aside for 30 minutes, uncovered.
- Heat the oil in a wok (kadhai); deep-fry the discs on a medium flame till crisp and golden. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain the excess oil on absorbent kitchen paper towels. To serve, arrange the fried discs (papri) on a plate; spread the potatoes, chickpeas, tamarind and mint chutneys, yoghurt and chaat masala to taste.
Preparation time: 30 min.
Cooking time: 15 min.