Aaloo Cholay Ingredients:
- 225 grams or 8 ounces of Chick Peas/Garbanzo Beans (Sufaid Chanay) (washed)
- ½” piece of Fresh Root Ginger (Adrak) (peeled & grated)
- 1 large Potato (peeled & cut into 4 cm – 1 ½” dice)
- 1 tsp. of Ground Turmeric (Pisi Haldi)
- ½ tsp. Red Chilli Powder (Pisi Lal Mirch)
- 2 fresh Green Chillies (Hari Mirchain) (slit lenghthwise into halves) (de-seeded for a mild flavor)
- 30 grams or 1 ounce of Clarified Butter (Ghee)
- 1 large Onion (finely chopped)
- 1 ¼ tsp. Salt
- ½ tsp. Garam Masala Powder
- 1 tsp. Fresh Mint (Podina) (freshly chopped)
How to make Aaloo Cholay:
- Soak the chick peas overnight in plenty of cold water or use ready cooked – canned chick peas. Rinse several times and drain well.
- Place the chick peas, water and ginger in a large saucepan over a high heat, bring to the boil, cover the pan and simmer for 1-1 1/2 hours or until the chick peas are tender.
- Add the potato, cumin, turmeric, chilli powder and green chillies and mint, if you are using dried. Return to the boil, cover the pan and simmer for a further 15-20 minutes, until the potatoes are tender.
- Melt the ghee over a medium heat and fry the oinion until they are lightly browned. Stir them into chick peas with salt and garam masala powder .
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the lemon juice and fresh mint.